Search for an event:
- This event has passed.
Berkshire College of Agriculture (BCA) Heritage Day
Sun 21 May, 2017 @ 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm BST
Step back in time with a unique opportunity to explore the historic Hall Place mansion and parkland.
Usually inaccessible to the public, Hall Place at Burchetts Green will offer a warm welcome on Sunday 21st May as it throws open its doors to visitors, as part of the Chelsea Fringe, Henley.
Visitors will have the unique opportunity to explore the Grade 1 listed Mansion house, Grade 2 parkland and the countryside within the beautiful 400 acre estate.
Throughout the afternoon you will have the opportunity to:
- Delve into the site’s rich history which extends as far back as 1234 when a manor house was recorded on the site.
- Admire the mansion’s baroque chimney pieces and decoration inspired by the unsuccessful alliance of the then two great sea powers, England and Holland.
- Admire nautical themed floral creations assembled by today’s BCA students.
- Join horticulture experts on a tour of the mansion gardens, which include the historic bee house, the ha-ha, cock pit and bog garden.
- Take an extended tour into the parkland, visiting the remains of a statue of Admiral Lord Nelson commissioned by Sir George Clayton in the 1800’s and the rare statue of Diana of Versailles (Diana the Huntress), erected by Joseph Bancks in the 1600’s.
- Hear about the site’s connections with the Battle of the Nile from Nelson Society Members and admire the Turkish Oak, the only remaining part of a series of oak trees, planted in the arrangement Lord Admiral Nelson’s battle fleet by Sir George Clayton East.
- Admire artist Peter Monamy’s recently restored Ships in a Storm scene, originally part of William East’s nautical collection.
- Explore and enjoy the Berkshire countryside along the estate’s many footpaths.
- Indulge in a delicious cream tea on the terrace, which overlooks the magnificent parkland.
Guided walks of the gardens and wider estate will take place at 1.15, 2.15 and 3.15pm. Stout footwear and weather-appropriate clothing are advised. The ground underfoot may be uneven and we regret is unsuitable for wheelchairs.
Locally sourced refreshments will be available to purchase on the day.
*Please note that we are currently fundraising for the restoration of the statue and there is a chance therefore that it may be under restoration at this time.
- Megan Hassett
- 01628 827417
- Detailed directions to the venue
- For details on how to find us please visit: https://www.bca.ac.uk/contact/find-us/