Search for an event:
- This event has passed.
Walthamstow Street Gardeners – a guided stroll around some buzzing streets
Sat 26 May, 2018 @ 11:00 am - 1:00 pm BSTFree
Come and join us for a tour of street and community gardens in Walthamstow! This area is packed with fascinating sites where residents have taken greening the streets into their own hands – creating wildflower verges, rose gardens, pocket parks, street-planters, community food-growing plots (with pizza oven!) and even adopted gravestones.
Every site comes with its own set of challenges and highlights, and gardeners from each project will be on-hand to answer questions and talk about what they’ve learnt along the way. These gardens aren’t necessarily perfect, but they are full of life, stories and characters.
If you’re interested in starting your own community garden, or just want to see what’s possible when neighbours get together and start getting their hands dirty, then this is the tour for you!
11am START at Brown’s Green (junction of Brown’s Rd and Hoe St E17 4RZ)
1pm finish in the pocket park at the junction of St Mary Road and West Avenue Road.
This is a leisurely walk of no more than 2 miles in a small area of central Walthamstow. Be prepared for some gentle hills and one steep but short hill.
Children are very welcome, if accompanied, but this walk is aimed at adults and will go at adult speed as there’s a lot to see.
Refreshments are not provided on the walk but Walthamstow has many great cafes very close to the start and finish points. If you want added culture then the William Morris Gallery has an excellent cafe and is only 5 minutes walk from the start, 10 minutes from the finish.
- Walthamstow Street Gardeners
- 07473 912113
- London postcode (first part)
- London Borough
- Waltham Forest
- Detailed directions to the venue
- Please try not to drive here !! Along the walk you’ll also see some of our mini Holland measures which promote cycling and walking and their contribution to our community gardens. Walthamstow Central tube and Overground stations are only 5 minutes walk from both start and finish points, as is the Bus Station. From the tube station, at the top of the escalators go up the stairs facing you and exit through the Overground station, turning right beyond the barriers to street level. Continue to traffic lights, cross and turn left into Hoe St. Continue, past the 1960s building with clock tower. Browns Green is on the right hand side of Hoe St at the junction with Brown’s Rd. If you want to catch some additional community gardens en route, you can make a tiny detour by turning right off Hoe St into Milton Road (just after Dhaka Tandoori), then first left into Brown’s Road and down to the end to Brown’s Green. MAP BELOW IS WRONG. CLICK ON GOOGLE MAP LINK
- Project contact name at the venue
- Helena Poldervaart