Search for an event:
- This event has passed.
Who’s who at the Stoke Poges Memorial Gardens?
Sun 19 May, 2019 @ 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm BSTfree, donations welcome
You are invited to an open day organised together with the Friends of Stoke Poges Memorial Gardens and involving other local community groups to tell the stories of some of the people who are remembered in our beautiful gardens. There will be guided tours past the little family gardens where some of our famous and influential residents are buried.
Come and find out about the founder of the gardens and how his business empire enabled him to generously care for the local area; who links the Memorial Gardens with the famous 19th Century opera singer Adelina Patti and how film-making at Pinewood Studios was influenced by some of the people buried here. Local groups such as the scouts and guides will be taking part to help tell these stories through installations within the gardens.
There will be some refreshments available, served by our Friends Group, information about how to get more involved in gardening provided by the local Horticultural Society and a background of the history of this fascinating place given by the local History Society.
- Sun 19 May, 2019
12:00 pm - 5:00 pm
- free, donations welcome
- Event Categories:
- Art, Buckinghamshire, Child Friendly, Community garden, Europe, Floral, Free, Installation, Open Garden, Park, UK, Walk
- Event Tags:
- 2019 Chelsea Fringe, accessibility, cake, Child Friendly, community, Education, film, floral, Free, Garden, get involved, guided tours, history, Installation, local, Open Garden, Outdoors, self guided, volunteers, walks, Wheelchair friendly / disabled access
- Friends of Stoke Poges Memorial Gardens
- 01753 523744
- Detailed directions to the venue
- From the M4: Leave at Junction 6, taking the A355 (sign M40). At the double mini-roundabout in Farnham Royal turn right onto the B416, and pass the Stoke Park golf course. At the crossroads with Church Lane, turn right. The Gardens are the second drive on the right, by St Giles Church. Parking at weekends is in the car park opposite. From the M40: Leave at Junction 2, taking the A355 (sign M4). At the double mini-roundabout in Farnham Royal turn left onto the B416, and pass the golf course. At the crossroads with Church Lane, turn right. The Gardens are the second drive on the right, by St Giles Church. Parking at weekends is in the car park opposite. Parking: During office hours parking is available within the grounds. At weekends there is a free car park opposite the gardens. At the open day please follow instruction from staff regarding parking. Public transport: Slough railway station is five minutes away by taxi. Bus No 12 stops a ten minute walk away in Northern Road. Please check with the local bus operator for up-to-date travel information. http://www.slough.gov.uk/downloads/Bus-map-bus-and-station-guide.pdf
- Project contact name at the venue
- Franzi Cheeseman
- Nearest tube station / rail station
- Stoke Poges Memorial Gardens
Stoke Poges, Buckinghamshire SL2 4NZ United Kingdom + Google Map
- 01753 523744