Search for an event:
- This event has passed.
Woodland Magic and Forest Fun – Horsenden Hill
Sat 18 May @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm BSTFree
We are delighted to welcome the Friends of Horsenden Hill who invite you to experience some Woodland magic and forest fun throughout Saturday 18 May.
Made up of three main areas, Horsenden Hill is the largest single nature conservation site within the borough of Ealing at 100 ha. Located in Perivale this site comprises of meadows, wetland and woodland habitat so there is plenty to see.
About the park: A beautiful area of ancient woodland, grassland, ponds and hedgerows, that provides an opportunity to experience nature and escape from city life.
The site is broken up into three distinctive sections:
- Horsenden East, bordered by Horsenden Lane North, contains large areas of woodland, with smaller patches of grassland which are managed by grazing the fields with cattle. There are amazing views from the summit, which at 84m above sea level, is the highest point in Ealing.
- Horsenden West, on the opposite side of the lane and bordered by the Grand Union Canal, contains a mosaic of wildflower meadows, hedgerows and ponds.
- On the southern side of the canal lies Paradise Fields comprising scrapes, reed beds and lagoons offering a peaceful haven for wildlife and visitors alike.
Urban Forest Event: Horsenden Hill is open to the public at all times. See below for timed activities. Meet in the Farm Courtyard or Hayloft for all timed activities.
10.00 – 2.00 Refreshments in the Hayloft (hot drinks, sparkling cordials, cakes and cookies, jacket potoatoes)
10.00 – 2.00pm: Face painting in the Farm Courtyard.
10.00 – 11.30 Gardening Mindfulness in Nature Session (must be pre-booked; email here)
11.00 – 2.pm Woodland Forest School for children.
11.15am – 11.45am Family storytelling: Tales from the Wild Woodland with the Green Man.
12.30pm -1.30pm Walk and talk: the Horsenden Woodlands. Join Ranger Jon Staples and learn about the trees and their management, including the recent planting of 9,000 trees with Trees for Cities, our work with horse logging, timber milling, forest school and mindfulness walks and how they interconnect with the overall management and essentially the wellbeing of the woods, the wildlife and the people who share them.
1.00pm – 1.30pm Family storytelling: Tales from the Wild Woodland with the Green Man.
Part of London’s 2019 Urban Tree Festival, made possible with support from Trees for Cities, the only UK charity working at a national and international scale to improve lives through planting trees in cities.
- Sat 18 May
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Event Categories:
- Child Friendly, Community garden, Edible, Education, Europe, Floral, London, Park, Talk, UK, Urban Tree Festival, Walk, Workshop
- Event Tags:
- 2019 Chelsea Fringe, Child Friendly, community, floral, food growing, fun, trees
- Museum of Walking
- Friends of Horsenden Hill
- London postcode (first part)
- London Borough
- Nearest tube station / rail station
- Perivale (Central line) Sudbury Town (Piccadilly Line)